Garibaldi Pitches Nine to 11-1 Win

By Steven V. Roberts

If any fans had come to the Harvard-Cornell baseball game at Soldiers Field Friday they would have been frozen stiff. Not a soul was in the stands, however, as the Crimson scored an impressive 11-1 victory in an abbreviated seven-inning game.

Dick Garibaldi, a senior righthander, went the entire route for Harvard despite the abominable playing conditions. Garibaldi gave up six hits, walked only two and struck out six to even his season record at three wins, three losses.

The Crimson hurler was in trouble in the second inning, but catcher Dick Diehl's diving catch of a pop foul cut off the Big Red threat. Garibaldi then hurled five solid innings before losing his shutout in the seventh.

Crimson hitters also did well against Cornell's Ray Ratkowski and Ed Dealy. Triples by Gavin Gilmor and Mike Patrick sparked a three-run rally in the second, which was immeasurably aided by some sloppy Cornell fielding.

After scoring a fourth run in the fourth inning, the Crimson tore into Dealy for seven earned runs in the sixth. Tom Bilodeau drove in the first run with a single, and Tom Stephenson scored two others with a similar blow. Diehl capped the rally with a slicing drive down the right field line that eluded all fielders and went for a grand-slam home run.