Yale's Lacrossemen Defeat Crimson, 7-4; Rain Slows Teams

A small soggy band of loyal lacrosse fans stood in the rain and watched underdog Harvard pound Yale for three periods Saturday. But lacrosse games are four quarter affairs and the Bulldogs really made the most of those final 15 minutes.

Eventually, Yalie midfield depth toppled coach Bruce Munro's stickmen 7-4. Numerous varsity penalties in the fourth period were of some significance in the late Elis rally.

Playing on a terrible field under the worst of conditions, both teams spent the opening minutes learning how to dig the ball out of the mud and adjusting to weather conditions. At the 14 minute mark, Mike Bassett converted a pass from Tink Gunnoe for the first varsity score.

Dick Ames added another Crimson goal in the early moments of the second period.

Behind 2-0 Yale spent the rest of the half tying the score. Attackman Sam Gwin scored first and another Bulldog shot got past goalie Gil Leaf at 9:46 of the second period. A Lou Williams quick-stick made it 3-2 Harvard, but the persistent Elis evened the score to end the half.


Crimson midfielders and Bulldog goalie Don Ogilvie dominated most of the third quarter. Yale goalie Ogilvie covered himself with glory as well as mud making 13 saves and holding an inspired Crimson offense to just one goal. Only Tink Leroy got the ball as far as the Bulldog nets.

At the other end of the field. Yale somehow managed to score two goals on just four shots and the Elis led for the first time 5-4. Harvard never recovered.

With Ogilvie easily stopping the varsity's few remaining scoring sorties, and Crimson stickmen sitting in the penalty box. Yale had little trouble extending its lead. Vie Ivanscheck and Roger Well added their own for New Haven and Harvard was down 7-4.

Harvard lost its temper in the closing moments, and a virtual parade of Crimson players to the penalty box and the Bulldogs' final goal were the immediate results. Goalie Leaf finished his rainy afternoon with 23 saves.

Recommended Articles