ENTER TO GROW IN WISDOM

The Crime

(From a memorandum sent recently by the director of Elementary School Internship and Apprentice Teaching at the Harvard School of Education to students entering the School's 1963-64 Plan A program for a master's degree in elementary education)

I am happy to learn that you will be entering the elementary apprenticeship program in September. Although mimeographed greetings are rarely adequate. I hope nonetheless to convey my pleasure in the knowledge that you will be with us. I know that these sentiments are shared by my colleagues in the elementary staff.

In the past a number of students have asked for specific suggestions concerning readings, so that advance preparations may be made for the coming year.... Arithemetic processes are often a problem for many students, and it would help you to refresh your competency in the area before arriving in the fall.

...enclosed are samples of "correct" manuscript and cursive writing. Students teachers are expected to use correct form when writing on the chalkboard and in teaching handwriting to children. We know that adults (especially college students!) rarely use correct form in their typical writing, and we urge you to undertake a program (about 15 minutes daily) to improve your writing form, both manuscript and cursive, to the level that will be expected of you during your apprenticeship. Perhaps careers are not made nor broken because of handwriting, but suffice to say that every little bit helps!

Please give the enclosed questionnaire your immediate attention, and feel free to volunteer further information about yourself or your plans for 1963-64. We are all hoping, as I am sure you are, that your experience preparing for the role of elementary teacher will provide such challenge and inspiration that you will remember them with both pride and pleasure.