Socialist Chairman Objects to Ban

The Mail

To the Editors of The Summer News:

On July 15, 1963, the Harvard Summer Socialist Club sponsored a meeting in Lamont Library entitled "Venezuela-the next Cuba?" The meeting was a success, evoking an enthusiastic response on the part of most of the audience of 150. As a result of the meeting, the Socialist Club looked forward to an exciting summer of discussion, education, and perhaps one or two more public meetings.

When we attempted to reserve a room for a discussion meeting the following day, however, the Dean of students informed us that the club cease all activity.

The chairman of the club met personally with the Dean a few days later to find out the reasons for disbanding the club. At that time the Dean of Students stated that the University officials recommended such action because the tone of the speech of July was "hortatory and directive," rather than academic.

In other words, the University has set itself up as a censoring committee, deciding not only what students may hear, but how they are to hear it.

Socialist Clubs at other universities have often suffered disbanding, censorship, and regulation. But one would hardly expect a university of such a long standing liberal tradition as Harvard's to join those who would deny the rights of students to hear whatever ideas they want, from whomever they want, and in whatever tone the speaker wishes to present his ideas.

All Harvard students should protest vigorously against the university's highhanded disregard for academic freedom. Demand that the Harvard Summer Socialist Club be reinstated with full rights and privileges Gerson Horowitz   Chairman, Harvard   Summer Socialist Club