Columbia Opens Dorms to Women On 4 Saturdays

Pariental hours at Coulmbia University were expanded last week when the university administration approved a student-sponsored plan increasing the number of hours women can be in men's dormitory rooms.

Under the new rules, women are permitted above the ground floor of the dorms from 5 to 8 p.m. on Saturdays when there are home football games. Women are already allowed to visit on alternate Sundays from 2 to 5 p.m.

The expansion affects only four Saturdays in October and November. Students are still required to keep their doors open when girls are in the rooms.

Grad Students Revolt

Columbia graduate students, through the Graduate Dormitory Council, refused to accept the new plan. They are demanding evening hours on weekends.

When Columbia adopted the alternate Sundays plan last Spring, it became the last Ivy League college to permit women in men's dorms. Student organizations had campaigned for parietals for many years.

Columbia's women's division, like Harvard's, has taken the lead in liberalizing social rules. Men have been allowed to visit Barnard College girls, also on alternate Sundays, for three years.

Columbia students who chafe at parietal rules have a recourse, however, not open to most of their Cambridge counter-parts. Residence in dormitories is not required, and undergraduates may live in apartments if they so desire, Many so desire.