Niederhoffer Defeated In Semifinals of Open

By Donald E. Graham

Just three years after he first picked up a squash racquet, Harvard's Vic Nieder-hoffer almost made the finals of the U.S. Open Squash Tournament in Buffalo Monday.

Niederhoffer, the third-ranked amateur player in the country, dropped a five-game decision to Hashim Khan in the semifinals of the tournament. The Crimson's captain won the first game 15 10, dropped the second 15-7, but came back to win the third, 18-16.

Now one more game would have put Niederhoffer in the finals. But the Crimson star was exhausted, and Khan came roaring back to win the last two games and the match, 15-3, 15-5. Khan later lost in the finals, 3-0, to his nephew, Mohibulla Khan.

It was an extremely impressive performance by Niederhoffer, who was the only amateur to make the semifinals and the only player to take a game off either Khan in the tournament. The Open brings together the country's best eight amateurs and top eight professionals.

Whipped Amherst Ace

Earlier in the vacation period, Niederhoffer whipped Amherst's Tom Poor in three straight games to win the New York Racquet and Tennis Club's Invitational Tournament. It was the second year in a row that the Crimson star won the tourney, which brings together all the best college players in the East.

It was almost an all-Harvard final as the Crimson's Al Terrell, the surprise of the meet, fought brilliantly against Poor before dropping a 3-2 match. Poor, Amherst's number one player, had to come from behind to win the fifth game, 18-17, from Terrell, who plays number seven for Harvard.

Earlier in the tournament, Terrell ousted Toby Symington, Princeton's number four player, and Bill Morris, the Crimson's number two man.

Niederhoffer won al his matches 3-0 except for a 3-1 win over Terry Robinson, the Crimson's number four player.