Runners Beaten by Brown In 1-Point Heartbreaker

Brown's Rich Baglow made a wild dash past Harvard runners Bill Crain and John Ogden in the final fifty yards of the five-mile race to snatch seventh place and give his team a 23-29 win over the visiting Crimson yesterday.

"It was the most hotly contested meet I've had in 13 years here," Harvard coach Bill McCurdy said when it was all over. The loss, coupled with last week's defeat at the hands of Providence, leaves the Crimson's record at 1-2 and gives the Crimson its longest losing streak--two--since McCurdy took over coaching duties here.

Walt Howlett, for the third week in a row, won the race, finishing a full 0:21 ahead of Brown co-captains Vic Boog and Bob Rothenberg. A full minute back in fourth place was Dave Allen, followed by Bruin Bill Kinsella and Jim Smith. Then came Baglow, 0:01 ahead of Crain, who finished another 0:01 in front of Ogden.

A mad sprint by the Crimson's Charles Redman in an attempt to displace Brown's fifth runner, Jim Ackroyd, and give Harvard a tie, failed by a scant 0:04.

Real Drama

The real drama was Baglow's storybook finish. A quarter-mile from the finish he was running even with Ogden, a few strides behind the Crimson's Crain and Smith. With 300 yards to go, Smith started to pull away, Ogden drove ahead of Baglow, and it looked like the race was all over.

But the Bruin senior drew a big breath of determination, sprinted by Ogden and Crain, and held on in the dash for the finish Mne.

It was a fine showing for the Crimson, the decided underdogs in the meet. "I couldn't be more proud of them," McCurdy said afterwards.

Particularly pleasing were Hewlett's strong win over two excellent runners, Boog and Rothenberg, and Smith's solid sixth-place finish. It was Smith's first good race of the season.

Crain's eighth-place finish was no poor showing. The Crimson captain made a recovery from a vicious fall early in the race, when he suffered a bad gash in his knee.

The Brain freshmen salted the Crimson's wounds by scoring a one-point victory ever the Harvard yearlings, 28-29.

The Crimson's Bob Stempson was beaten for the first time this year, finishing second behind Brown's Bob Busick. Baby Bruins took third and fourth places and Bill Burns, Bill Wilson, and Jim Baker swept the next three positions for the Crimson.

Brown's Bob Taylor beat Yardling Howie Foss in the race that counted, the one for eighth place.