Five from Harvard Fails Olympic Test

The United States' "coxed fours" crew, made up of four oarsmen and a coxswain from Harvard's national champion eight, was eliminated from the Olympic Games in Tokyo yesterday.

The American crew had finished second to Germany Saturday in a heat, but only the first boat in each heat qualified for the semifinals. The other boats entered "repechage" heats yesterday to attempt to qualify for the remaining positions in the semifinals.

The U.S. crew was defeated in the repechage by Poland. The Poles posted a time of 7:11:74 to 7:12:82 for the Harvard boat. Norway was third in the heat at 7:18:57.

Harry Pollock, captain of last spring's Harvard crew, Tom Pollock, Jim Tew, and captain-elect Paul Gunderson were the oarsmen for the U.S. Ed Washburn was the coxswain.

A Yalie accounted for the only U.S. gold medal of the day. Don Schollander, who will arrive at New Haven this winter, turned in a 53.4 to win the 100-meters freestyle swim. Cary Ilman was fourth and last year's Yale captain, Mike Austin, sixth.

Claudia Kolb, a 14-year-old from California, placed second behind Russia's world record holder Galina Prozumen-schikiva in the women's 200-meter breast-stroke.

Weightlifter Isacca Berger finished second in the featherweight division to complete the United States' accumulation of medals for the day.

Jed Graef of Princeton lowered the Olympic 200-meter backstroke record to 2:13.7 in the semifinals. Graef and teammate Gary Dilley are favored in the finals today.

The U.S. basketball team rolled to two more easy wins, 77-50 over Finland and 60-48 over Peru.