Cornell Line Poses Threat To Crimson

Klckoff: 2 p.m.

By Donald E. Graham

At the end of last year, Cornell's offense packed up and went away, or so the story goes. Quarterback Gary Wood, holder of five Ivy League records, went off to join the New York Giants Placekicker Pete Gogolak, who set a national collegiate record with 44 straight extra points, was shipped to the Buffalo Bills of the American Football League.

Two of Wood's companions in the starting backfield also took off, along with the top two "lonely ends." With its top four runners, its top two pass receivers, and its top five scorers gone, the Big Red shouldn't have been much of a threat this year.

But it doesn't seem to be working out that way. Last Saturday the Cornell offense found itself, and eradicated Pennsylvania, 33-0. Wood's heir, Marty Sponaugle, ran for one touchdown and passed for another. Fullback Bill Wilson gained 100 yards in 25 attempts.

Cornell's Line is Tough

And the backfield is only half the story. Cornell gets its real punch from its line, which may be the best in the Ivy League.

That figures. In football, experience counts, and you'd have to say that Cornell's line has experience. Back from 1963 are the first three tight ends, five of the top six tackles (the one missing was a third stringer), all of the top six guards, and the first and third-string centers.

That makes 16 of the 18 interior linemen back, with one second-stringer and one third-stringer missing.

What's more, the line has been playing up to expectations. Cornell has had two touchdowns scored against it this year. One came on a long pass and one on a kickoff return. Otherwise, no one has dented the Big Red 20-yard line. "We don't have a good idea what their goal line defense is like, because we've never seen it." Crimson scouts admit.

Cornell plays two-platoon football, alternating an offensive and a defensive unit. On offense the lonely end is out and Cornell features a balanced attack with guards George Arangio (210) and Gene Kunit (235) doing the glocking on pulling plays.

Sponaugle, a 200-pounder, is regarded as primarily a runner. He uses Wilson on runs through the line; Bob Baker, the lone survivor of last year's backfield, is the speed merchant. Baker has piled up 159 yards and a 5.9 yard average; Wilson 161 and 3.4.

But it may well be that if his line holds up, Sponaugle will take to the air against a Harvard pass defense that looked bad two weeks in a row until the line put the pressure on Archie Roberts last week.

With tackle Neal Curtin still out, and halfback Dave Poe and end Ken Boyda doubtful, this will be a tough game for the Crimson