Freshman, J.V. Elevens Host Dartmouth Squads

By Philip Ardery

The freshman and J.V. football teams square off against their Dartmouth counterparts here at 2 p.m. today.

For the Yardlings, the main problem this afternoon will be how to move the ball against a Dartmouth defense that has yielded no points in two games. The Hanover freshmen boast a 9-0 win over Holy Cross and a whopping 20-0 victory over Brown.

So the news could hardly be worse for a Crimson team that has yet to show a potent offense, Quarterback Richard Zimmerman passed will in last week's 14-12 loss to Boston College but the team totaled a skimpy 50 yards rushing.

Without the impressive efforts of halfback Ron Kram, that total would have an embarrassing minus three yards on the ground. That kind of running won't get anywhere against the Big Green today.

The team's success with the passing game last week--10 completions in 15 tries--probably means that the Crimson will try the air routes again today. The only trouble is that Dartmouth may be better prepared for an aerial attack than was the B.C. team that the Crimson surprised last week. The word spreads, even as far as the New Hampshire woods.

Fortunately, if the offense can get a few points on the scoreboard, the Crimson defense is likely to make them hold up. They destroyed Tufts in a 26-0 Crimson win two weeks ago and did an impressive job against a highly touted B.C. offense last week.

The pass defense looked strong--two intercepted passes--and the defensive ends consistently bottled up the halfback sweeps. And when the B.C. fullback made it past Stanley Greenridge at middle guard, linebacker Don Chiofaro was there to drag him down.

The Crimson J.V.'s are putting a 2-1 record on the line against a Dartmouth squad that has lost to Army 21-7 in its only game thus far. The Crimson has beaten Tufts and Newport Naval Station and lost to B.C. Since junior varsity personnel changes from week to week, this game must rate a toss-up.