Volpe Proposes Study To Preserve Sycamores

Says Access Roads Could Be Cut

By Andre D. Swettham

Republican gubernatorial candidate John A. Volpe yesterday called on the Metropolitan District Commission to delay construction of the controversial Memorial Drive underpass pending last minute efforts by the MDC to confer with opponents of the project and reach a solution acceptable to residents of the Harvard Square area.

In an official statement Volpe said that "every possible effort should be made to save the now famous sycamore trees, while giving realistic consideration to the acute problems of traffic congestion in the area." He added, however, that underpasses scheduled for River Street and Western Avenue should proceed.

In addition the ex-governor offered a suggestion of his own for settling the current dispute on the underpass.

"Simply by eliminating access roads between Memorial Drive and Boylston Street," he said, "perhaps the trees could be saved and the proposed underpass could still be constructed."

Eliminate Access Roads

Under this plan, through traffic on Memorial Drive would pass under Boylston Street via the projected underpass; motorists wishing to make turns between the Drive and Boylston Street would use existing side streets.

The official statement came in response to a telegram sent Monday to Volpe and his Democratic opponent, Lieutenant Governor Francis X. Bellotti, by Edward L. Bernays and John R. Moot, co-chairmen of the Citizens Emergency Committee to Save Memorial Drive. The message reminded the candidates of the great expense involved in constructing the underpasses and of the irreplaceable recreation playgrounds their construction would destroy. It also urged that they support legislation to block their construction.