Runners Romp Over Yale, Princeton; Hewlett Shatters Own Course Record

Harvard and Walt Hewlett won their second consecutive Big Three cross-country titles by trouncing the Yale and Princeton runners in Franklin Park yesterday.

The triangular score was Harvard 22, Princeton 51, and Yale 54. The Crimson's 19-42 triumph over the Tigers and 18-44 thrashing of the Elis stretched Harvard's dual meet record this year to seven wins and two losses.

Hewlett retained his individual Big Three crown by opening up a 200-yard lead in the first two miles of the five-mile race and coasting the rest of the way. His time of 25:07 was a whopping 0:45 faster than the course record he set last week.

It was obvious by the half-way mark that the home team had this one wrapped up. Hewlett was running a race of his own and bunched in a second grouping of five runners were three Harvard men--Dave Allen, captain Bill Crain, and Keith Chiappa.

As it ended up, Allen was an easy second, finishing in 25:53; it was the fourth race in a row he has been a bridesmaid to Hewlett.

After Allen came Yale's captain Bill Mathers, followed by Crain and the Tiger's Ritch Geisel and Larry Taylor. Rounding out the Crimson's scoring were Chiappa (7th) and Jon Chaffee (8th), with other Harvard runners taking four of the following five places.

Coach Bill McCurdy could find only one trifle to complain about after it was all over. He said, and with reason, that the Crimson runners finished too far apart, a genuine weakness even though it doesn't show up in the scoring against competition like yesterday's.

McCurdy reserved his greatest praise for the freshman runners, who whipped Yale and an undefeated Princeton squad in a prelude to the varsity meet.

The score in that one was Harvard 23, Princeton 34, and Yale 79, with the Crimson posting a 23-24 win over the Tigers and a perfect 15-43 triumph over the Elis.

Yardling captain Jim Baker and Princeton's Allan Andreini went out fast in front of the pack and ran together until the final half-mile, when Baker tired. But right behind the Crimson captain was a slow of Yardlings runners who had hung on behind the leaders.

Bob Stempson passed Baker in the final 100 yards to take second place, and Howie Foss was fourth. Other Yardlings took three of the next five positions.

The win left the freshman's record at 9-1, with a one-point loss to Brown at Providence the only blemish.

The next varsity competition is the Greater Boston meet Tuesday in Franklin Park. Northeastern will be the Crimson's chief competition and Huskie Dave Dunsky should give Walt Hewlett a tough challenge.