'Newsweek' Detects Decline of Ivies; Yale No Longer Center of Learning

Pusey Too 'Aloof'

"He looks Ivy, he sounds Ivy, but when he picks up a newspaper and reads 'HEAT WAVE IN CALIFORNIA--TEMPERATURE HITS 110,' he turns to an aide and says with a smile, 'Good.'"

That's Yale President Kingman Brewster, who, according to the issue of Newsweek magazine published today, has become the "most eloquent spokesmen" for a sickly society--the Ivy League colleges.

The magazine, which last visited Harvard six months ago to investigate "the revolution in sexual morality," is now concerned with "a turning point" in higher education--the decline of the Ivy League. The issue features Brewster on the cover.

"No longer can Yale regard itself as the center of an academic world that begins at Hanover, N.H., and ends at the University of Pennsylvania campus in Philadelphia," Newsweek writes, making a rather large assumption.

Now, Michigan, Chicago, Stanford, Wisconsin, Indiana, Illinois, Texas, North Carolina, Duke, and California are busily challenging Ivy League supremacy (that's why California heat waves make Brewster happy). The magazine admits that "at least for now, the Ivy League schools seem to hold the edge" in endowments, faculty salaries, libraries, faculty-student ratio, fellowship recipients, and alumni listed in Who's Who and Poor's Register.

Cary Grant

Harvard? Except as an institution on the fringe of an academic community headed by Yale, it rarely comes up. And Kingman Brewster ("An Ivy League Cary Grant") comes out considerably ahead of President Pusey, who "maintains an aloofness that disturbs many members of his Faculty. ('I hope that Nate's second ten years at Harvard are happier than his first,' says an Ivy League colleague.)"