JV's Top Penn With Late Safety

Harvard's J.V. football squad edged Penn 2-0 on a last-minute safety as a pair of bellicose defensive lines intimidated quarterbacks, bullied runners, and thoroughly immobilized each other's offense.

The game seemed doomed to a scoreless tie after Penn dug in on its own 15 to stifle the Crimson's best scoring chance of the day, late in the fourth quarter.

The Quakers ran three futile plays before dropping Hunter Minnix back to punt from his own goal line. The pass from center was bad, Minnix fumbled, and Harvard's John Rosenberg nailed him in the end zone to score the deciding points.

Defense ruled the game so completely that Penn managed only three downs and Harvard eight. Crimson quarterbacks Ray Kubacki and John Shevlin were caught attempting to pass a total of six times by a Penn rush led by 240-pound tackle Allen Smith and end Charles Sturtevant.

The Penn attack, choked for most of the game, managed one spurt in the third period when Richard Hannum passed 38 yards to end James Carpenter at the Harvard 10. But Hannum could take his team no farther, and Frank Capobianco's 22-yard field goal try was wide.