Tough Eli Booters Test Varsity; Injuries Hurt Crimson Defense

Business School field, 2 p.m.

The Yale soccer game is traditionally the final step on the Crimson's road to the Ivy League championship. The Elis last beat the Harvard booters in 1956, and in the years since then the Bulldogs have graciously helped the Crimson to five Ivy titles.

But this year the situation is some-what different. Harvard--like Yale--has been eliminated from the championship race and is currently tied with the Elis for third place in the league standings.

This year's Eli team is no patsy, and the Crimson knows it. Coach Bruce Munro said yesterday. "They're strong. Every coach I've talked to said Yale was the toughest team he had faced."

The Elis use a three-back defense, as did Brown and Dartmouth, the two teams to beat the Harvard booters. Last week Brown used two of its three backs to keep man-to-man coverage on Crimson high scorers Jim Saltonstall and Charlie Njoku, and neither Crimson forward got a clear shot all day.

Yale's offense moves in short combination passes. Wings Joe Upton (five Ivy goals) and Rick Sewall (four) are the top scorers for the Elis and inside Derek Busch has set up many of their goals with his accurate passes.

Harvard's defense has been seriously weakened by injuries to its fullbacks. Sophomore starter Alex Patton is still out with a bad knee and without even dress. Senior Terry Winslow will be slowed by an infected foot, and sophomore Karl Lunkenheimer, who in brilliantly for Patton against Brown, injured his kicking foot in practice two week and is a doubtful starter.

Bernie Huebner, slated to replace Lunkenheimer in today's game, is suffering from a bone bruise and may not be ready to play.

One incentive for Harvard today is shame. If Yale wins and Penn beats Dartmouth, the Crimson will be dumped into fifth place in the Ivy standings, lower than any other Harvard soccer team has finished since 1956.