Leverett Overcomes Davenport, 12-8

Harvard Houses Win Three and Tie Four Against Yale Elevens

Leverett House capped a good day for Harvard House football teams by coming from behind on Jim Thompson's 40-yard run to beat Yale's Davenport College 12-8, and win the intramural championship.

Leverett was one of three House teams to beat their Yale opponents. Two Harvard squads lost to Yale, and an extraordinary four games wound up tied.

Davenport went into the third quarter with an 8-6 lead over Leverett, after Yale quarterback Craig Avery scored on a one-yard run with a minute left in the half. Avery passesd to Walt Shulman to give Davenport the extra points.

Leverett Scores

Leverett came back 50 seconds later to score on a 35-yard pass from Harold Krivan to Lee Patton. But the try for the extra points failed, and only Thompson's 40-yard dash pulled the game out for the Harvard House League champions.

The other Houses that won were Eliot, a 20-0 victor over Jonathan Edwards College, and Adams, which beat Dwight, 22-0.

Eliot got off to a quick start with an 85-yard pass from Elliot Topkins to Tom Bacas for a touchdown. Bob Yager and John Parker scored later in the game for the Elephants.

Adams scored early on a dash by Mike Patrick and later added a touchdown on Arnold's Arvante's run.

The biggest play of that game was only for insurance. Dean Carlson burst through center in the second half and raced 60 yards for Adams' third score.

Three Ties

Three other Harvard teams came close to pulling out games; one even managed to get tied after time had run out.

That was Dunster House, which led Berkeley, 14-6 when the game ended. But a pass interference call on the final play gave the Yalies another chance; they passed for a touchdown and again for the tying conversion. Carlos Barton and Bing Emerson did the scoring for Dunster.

Plays Called Back

Quincy had two long scoring plays called back and lost to Ezra Stiles, 6-0. Winthrop, after a scoreless afternoon, drove to Trumbull's 20-yard line on a 60-yard Mitch Sikora pass, but Sikora overthrew Doug Broadwater in the end zone on the final play.

Dudley House and Branford College played to a scoreless tie, as did Lowell House and Pierson College. Calhoun College scored the only other Yale victory, beating Kirkland, 6-0.

Kirkland got a measure of revenge by winning the touch football championship from Trumbull, 14-13, but the Deacons lost the soccer championship to Calhoun 4-0.