Ballad for Minutemen

The Mail

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

"Unlike their predecessors, the Concord Minutemen of 1775, the embattled businessmen standing by the rude Weeks Bridge will not fire a warning shot. They will run to Eliot House and blow a whistle to awake Mrs. Finely, who will alert the volunteers by telephone. Mrs. Finley thinks it would be a shame 'if the trees were chopped down while we lay in our beds snug and warm" CRIMSON, NOV. 7.

(To the tune of "The Fox")

The men came out on the Charles one night prayin' for the moon to give them light For they'd many a tree to cut that night Before they left the town-o, town-o, town-o, For they'd many a tree to cut that night Before they leave the town-o,

They went to a spot on old Mem, Drive For there were the sycamore still alive Like packs of dogs they did arrive And slashed the helpless trees-o, trees-o, trees-o etc.

They destroyed the biggest with a saw and axe Felling the trees and raising the tax But they didn't hear the clack, clack, clacks As the minuteman ran to the window, window, window etc.

Sung Mrs. Finley jumped out of bed out of window she popped her head Crying, "John, John, the trees are gone And the MDC's on the town-o town-o, town-o," etc.

Old John ran to top of the tower And whistled loud for Master Brower "My Harvard boys will show their power And we'll soon have a mighty fine rumble, rumble, rumble," etc.

From Harvard came ten thousand men But the M-D dogs ran away to their den Knowin' if they came back again The Charles would be their home-o home-o, home-o, etc.   David Maynard '67   Arra Avaklan '67   Robert Hammer '66