Skaters Lack Experience; First Contest Is Saturday

By Joel Havemann

It's November again, and the usual rumors are starting to spread outside the Square that the Harvard hockey varsity is no longer a power to be reckoned with. But it's also 1964, and this year the rumors just may be right.

Even Coach Cooney Weiland admits that this year's team will be hampered--at least early in the season--by its lack of experience. Only six men on the present roster received varsity letters in 1963-64. In pre-season practice, the skaters have yet to mount an effective attack.

Eight of last year's thirteen regular skaters will be missing when Harvard opens its 1964-65 season against the St. Nicholas Hockey Club at 8 p.m. Saturday in Watson Rink. Five of the six highest scorers, the best defenseman, and the regular goalie have all graduated. A sixth forward, John Stevens, is taking a year's absence from school because of a kindney ailment.

The quality of those who graduated is indicated by the varsity's 59-15-2 record during their three years of varsity eligibility. Most notable of this group is Gene Kinasewich, who brought his Harvard point total to 110--second highest in Harvard's history--by scoring 23 goals and 16 assists in his senior year.

Right-wing Ike Ikauniks, who shared with Kinasewich last year's award as Harvard's most valuable hockey player, is also gone. So are forwards Bill Fryer, Barry Treadwell, and Billy Lamarche.

Only senior Baldy Smith remains of last year's six top scorers. Joining Smith as Harvard forwards who have seen considerable varsity experience are seniors Kenny Burnes and Pete Sahlin, and juniors Jorge Gonzales and Gordie Price.

Lines Effective

In pre-season practice, Coach Weiland has had Price, Burnes, and Sahlin skating in one line, with junior Pete Miller centering for Smith and Gonzales in another. Miller saw little action last year because of an injury, but is in sound shape this fall. While neither of these lines has the tremendous scoring power of Harvard's first two lines last year, both have demonstrated that they can play solid hockey.

Weiland plans to alternate two inexperienced trios as a third line in Harvard's first few games. Chip Clarke centers for Dennis McCullough and Pete Waldinger in one line; Eric Rosenberger, Frank Mackey, and Eddie Zeliner make up the other.

Defense Prospects Bright

Prospects at defense are considerably brighter than those up front, since the Crimson has lost only stalwart Mike Patterson from its rear guard. Captain John Daly and junior Bob Clark both skated regularly--and well--at defense last year. Chip Scammon and Red Coleman have looked good in practice and will probably be the other defensive unit Saturday night.

But the goal is another story. When Weiland promoted senior Brandy Sweitzer from the JV's to the varsity last year, Sweitzer replied with an excellent season. Whether senior Wade Welch, last year's stand-by for Sweitzer, can perform similarly is questionable. Welch hasn't been particularly impressive in practice so far, but neither has Bill Fitzsimmons, last season's freshman goalie. Weiland will probably alternate them early in the year.