Culpepper Receives Playwriting Award

Bramhall Wins Second Prize

James A. Culpepper '64 has won the biennial Phyllis Anderson Award for the best play by a Harvard undergraduate.

Culpepper's play, Treason at West Point, a chronicle play about Benedict Arnold, will be given a full seven-night run at the Loeb Drama Center in May, with the Anderson trust fund underwriting the production costs.

Culpepper graduated this June, but the Anderson prize rules specify that the award may be given to any play written while the author was an undergraduate.

Mark H. Bramhall '65, president of the Harvard Dramatic Club, was awarded second prize in the competition for an untitled "experiment with form and content." Bramhall's play will be read at the Loeb in May.

Several Plays Submitted

About 15 plays were submitted for the Anderson competition; judges included several members of the English Department and scholars from outside the University.

Culpepper's play will be the second drama by a Harvard undergraduate, and only the third by an American, to be presented on the Loeb main stage. The first undergraduate play was Thomas J. Babe, Jr.'s The Pageant of Awkward Shadows, which won the first Anderson award two years ago.