Nichols Requests Medicare Study

Doctors and patients must face the problem of medical care for the aged "hand in hand," Dr. George Nichols Jr. '43, associate dean of the Faculty of Medicine for academic affairs, said yesterday, when asked to comment on the AMA House of Delegates' renewed opposition to Medicare.

"What is needed is a bipartisan study group to look into the problem as a totality," Nichols said. He suggested that any program should start among the patients and doctors themselves, rather than as some solution imposed on the medical profession from the top.

Nichols favored neither the position of the supporters of Medicare nor that of the American Medical Association. He described the AMA's vehement opposition to any compromise plan as "somewhat exaggerated." "Last-ditch conservatism never gets you anywhere," he said.

"The elderly need help, and the need is getting more and more acute" said Nichols. He urged, however, that the medical profession come up with its own plan. Nichols was not sure that additional Federal action would be required at all. Existing Federal programs and the private programs of unions and industry may he enough, he thought.