Wrestlers Place Fifth In Coast Guard Meet

The Harvard wrestling team turned in its best performance ever in the Coast Guard wrestling tournament this weekend.

The team finished sixth in the 16-team tournament behind four wrestling power-houses: Navy, Maryland, Syracuse, and East Stroudsberg. Four Harvard wrestlers took places and everybody on the team won at least one match.

Jack Daniels, in the 147-pound class, Ed Franquemont, 157, and Chris Wickens, 167, took third places. Heavyweight Tack Chace was fourth in his talentladen division.

Wickens came closest to winning a berth in the finals. He wrestled his Syracuse opponent to a draw in regulation time, and to another draw in two overtime periods. The tournament rules say that if no one wins in overtime, the referee and two judges vote to name a winner. Wickens lost the vote, 2-1.

Another standout performance came from 123-pounder Howie Henjyoji, who scored two pins in the rugged lightweight division. He lost a tight decision to one opponent, who went on to finish second.

The rules of the tournament say a wrestler must lose twice to be eliminated. Henjyoji led his next opponent until he was reversed with two seconds remaining and lost by a point.

The Crimson totaled 42 points (as opposed to 11 last year) and finished just four points back of Springfield and East Stroudsberg, who tied for fourth.