Gunnoe and Straus Awarded All-America Mention For Performance on Last Year's Lacrosse Team

By Steven V. Roberts

Two Harvard lacrosse stars have been named honorable mention All-Americans for their play last season by the U.S. Inter-collegiate Lacrosse Association.

The awards to Tink Gunnoe, an attackman-midfielder, and Al Straus, a defenseman, were announced in the recently published Lacrosse Guide.

Gunnoe, now a senior, played midfield as a freshman and sophomore but switched to attack last season when coach Bruce Munro needed someone to replace All-American Grady Watts. Captain of his freshman team, Gunnoe manuevers a lacrosse stick as if it were an extension of his arm.

Although suffering from a back injury he led Crimson Scorers last season with eight goals and 29 assists, ranking seventh in the country in that department. It is uncertain whether Munro will be able to move Gunnoe back to midfield, where he is more at home. The decision rests on the development of a sophomore attackman capable of joining Lou Williams and Dick Ames on the front line.

Straus served as Crimson Captain last season and graduated in June. He was the mainstay of the defense at the important "crease" position, using his size and speed to excellent advantage against the shiftiest of attackmen.

Straus also assisted on three goals to lead all defensemen.

In its New England ratings the Lacrosse Guide placed Gunnoe on the first team and Straus and Joe Prahl on the second team. Phral, the team's second leading scorer, was the only player among the top six scorers to graduate. He made 16 goals and five assists from his midfield position.

Chuck Kessler, a defenseman, Pete Wood, a midfielder and this year's captain, and Lou Williams at attack made New England honorable Mention.