Crimson Trackmen Chase GBI Title at Northeastern

Tonight and Tomorrow

By Philip Ardery

Fresh from a smashing 75-33 win over Holy Cross on Tuesday, the varsity trackmen travel across town to Northeastern tonight and tomorrow, seeking the Greater Boston Invitational track crown.

The host team is expected to provide some formidable opposition for the Crimson, but coach Bill McCurdy expects his troops to survive the Husky challenge and capture the title that Boston College won a year ago.

The Crimson trackmen could pile up a big lead in tonight's field events. Chris Pardee should win the high jump with B.C.'s Dick Clarke a likely second place. Jay Mahaney and Don Forte rank one-two among the area's pole vaulters.

Art Croasdale should score in both weight events, although two Huskies could keep the Crimson ace from taking a first. Northeastern's Bill Corsetti has done better than 60 feet this season in the weight throw, and teammate Carl Wallen has bettered 58 feet in the shot.

In the broad jump, Chris Ohiri ranks as the odds-on choice for first place, with two other Crimson contestants, Pardee and Aggrey Awori, likely to score points.

Injuries and illnesses will keep down the Crimson scoring in Saturday's running events. Awori and Ohiri may run-one-two in the dash, and Awori or Tony Lynch should capture first in the high hurdles, but a leg injury to Keith Chiappa will cost the Crimson a win in the 600-yard run, and a flu bug will keep John Ogden out of the 1000-yard run and perhaps Ed Meehan out of the mile.

Sophomore Walt Hewlett, returning to action after a week's layoff, appears to be the class of the two-mile field.