Wrestlers Seek First League Win; Pereira Leads Team Against Lions

Wrestling coach Bob Pickett expects the meet with Columbia today to be "about as close as the Penn meet." Since Penn beat Harvard 16-15, that means a close match when the Crimson faces the Lions in the I.A.B. at 3:30 p.m.

Columbia is sparked by junior 123-pounder Arnie Lesser, unbeaten on the season; Captain Mike Marcantano, a strong 157-pounder; and sophomore star Pete Salzer (177).

The Lions have run up five straight wins, and are still unbeaten in the Ivy League; Harvard is 2-3 overall and 0-2 in the League. But Columbia has yet to meet Cornell and Penn, the two Ivy teams to beat Harvard this year.

The Crimson has two almost-sure winners in Captain Fred Pereira (167) and sophomore Howard Durfee (137). Since Columbia has shown little strength at 191 and heavyweight, Harvard's Ben Brooks and Tack Chace are probable winners as well.

Two Crucial Bouts

The match may hinge on the 130 and 147-pound bouts, where Crimson sophomores Brian Smith and Brian Conley take on the Lions' inexperienced Lou Locasio and Larry Nelson.

Smith has wrestled well all season, but Conley, who seemed sure to develop into a star, has turned into a question mark instead. He won eight of nine last year as a freshman and tied the ninth; in addition, he had a reputation as one of the finest leg wrestlers ever to come to Harvard.