Tankmen Travel to Providence Today For Last Warm-up Before Princeton

The varsity swimming squad winds up the soft section of its schedule today at Brown in the last prep for Saturday's showdown with Princeton in the IAB.

Coach Bill Brooks' tankmen should have no trouble making the Bruins their fourth straight Ivy League victim, although the Crimson will have to concede victories in the 50-and 100-yard freestyle to Brown captain Bob Martin. Martin has churned the 100 in 49.3 seconds this winter, a full 2.2 seconds faster than Crimson captain Dave Bennett's best of the current season.

Today's most interesting event may well be the dive, which matches Crimson junior Dan Mahoney and Bruin ace Marty Thomas. Back in December, Thomas defeated Amherst's Duncan MacDougall, 1963 New England diving champion, and today he just might edge his Crimson foe.

But the Harvard tankmen could capture the other eight events, if Brooks decides to let them try. Dave Abramson should win the 200 and 500-yard freestyles. Brown's distance man Dave Prior boasts times of 1:59.6 and 5:30.3 at the two distances, which should gain him second place behind the Crimson junior.

Harvard's breaststrokers Bruce Fowler and Porky Pitts, possibly the best in the East outside of New Haven, clearly out-class their Bruin counterparts.

Backstroke Sweep

Earl Showerman and Al Lincoln will, no doubt, sweep the 200-yard backstroke, just as they have their last three times out. Brown's Paul Kinloch has been swimming the distance in around 2:18 all winter and that won't be nearly fast enough for a second place finish today.

Kinloch also swims the 200-yard individual medley, and once again he is third best behind two Harvard opponents, this time sophomore Henry Frey and senior Joe Stetz. Kinloch's 2:22.0 against Columbia two weeks ago is 10 seconds slower than Frey's winning time Saturday against the same opposition.

The Yardling tankmen, led by former Australian Olympian Neville Hayes, clash with the Baby Bruins in a preliminary to the varsity meet today. Hayes currently holds the University record in the 200-yard butterfly.