Fowler Places Second In EISC Breaststroke

Bruce Fowler's second place finish in the 200-yard breaststroke last night finally put Harvard in the scoring column as the Eastern Intercollegiate Swimming Championships at Dartmouth ended its second day.

Fowler's showing earned his team five points and put the Crimson in tenth place in the team standings. Yale has already clinched the title in the three-day tournament with a total of 39.

The overwhelming favorite in the 200-yard breaststroke, Dale Kiefer of Yale, lived up to his billing with an excellent time of 2:17.4, 2.4 seconds faster than Fowler. The rest of the field was far behind.

All other Harvard entrants yesterday were eliminated in the afternoon trials. Harry Turner was knocked out in the 200-yard butterfly and Al Lincoln failed to qualify for the evening final in the 200-yard backstroke.

But coach Bill Brooks has hopes that three of his boys will score points today, the final day of competition. Fowler will come back in the 100-yard breaststroke against a field far weaker than the one last night. He is favored to take first place.

Dave Abramson will compete in the 1650-yard freestyle, and should finish is the top three. Abramson will be trying to redeem his poor showing Thursday, when he failed to qualify for the finals of the 500-yard free.

The Crimson's third hope for points today is diver Dan Mahoney, who wasn't expected to compete in the Easterns. Mahoney had been suffering from a stone bruise early in the week and didn't make the trip to Dartmouth on Thursday with the rest of the squad.

But a rapid recovery--perhaps speeded by Abramson's failure in the 500--persuaded Mahoney to travel to Hanover yesterday afternoon. He will be co-favored in the dive with Yale's Pete Desjardins and Princeton's Scott Andrews.

Clark Sets Record

The highlight of yesterday's performances was a new NCAA record in the 200-yard freestyle set by Yale's Steve Clark. Clark, who already shares the NCAA mark in the 100-yard free, set his new standard yesterday with a time of 1:44.9.

Eli Ed Townsend took the 200-yard individual medley in 2:04.7, and Princeton's Jed Graef captured the 200-yard backstroke in 1:59.2.