Lehigh Wins Wrestlng Tourney; Harvard Picks Up Just 7 Points

Howie Durfee's bad knee, Fred Pereirn's bruised rib and a lot of tough competition limited the Crimson wrestling team to seven points and an 11th-place finish in the Eastern Intercollegiate Wrestling Championships this weekend.

A strong Lehigh team placed four wrestlers in the finals to eke out a 53-57 victory over Pittsburgh for the team title; defending champion Syracuse came on strongly on the final day but fell just short with 55. Cornell, with 37, was the top Ivy League school.

Durfee, the Crimson's best wrestler, came up with a knee injury before the meet and didn't even make the trip to Franklin and Marshall. Pereira, who has been troubled by his rib injury for the last month, won a first-round bout from Rutgers' Ron Geisert, a strong wrestler, 10-7. But the Crimson captain wasn't up to the rugged two-match-a-day tournament routine, and lost a 12-4 decision to Cornell's Fran Ferraro.

The Crimson didn't pick up any points after Friday's matches, when Pereira (177), Ben Brooks (191) and Tack Chace (Hwt.) all won their first-round matches and lost in the next round.

Chace, who lost to Syracuse's NCAA champ Jim Nance in the second round, wrestled Penn's Bruce Jacobsohn in a consolation match and lost 3-1; earlier this year Jacobsohn had beaten Chace 10-1.

Brian Conley (147) was the only other Crimson wrestler to see action after Friday's bouts. Conley got into a consolation match with Rutgers' Gene O'Donnell, who had pinned him earlier in the season, and lost a 6-2 decision.