Peace Corps to Recruit Next Week: Shriver Cancels Boston Appearance

R. Sargent Shriver, Director of the Peace Corps, has cancelled his plans to spearhead personally a recruitment drive in Boston area colleges next week, Michael Shinagel, associate director of the Office of Graduate and Career Plans, said last night.

Instead, a three-man "advance team" will come to Boston late this week to prepare for the drive; and a five-man recruiting team will work at Harvard starting Monday. They will administer tests, attend classes, and set up an information booth at Phillips Brooks House.

Must Make "War" Instead

Shriver gave no reason for his change of plans. However, Shinagel said that he had made the engagement before he was appointed a special assistant to the President to help coordinate the administration's "war on poverty." He also cancelled a speech in Chicago about two weeks ago.

New Program for Juniors

The recruiting team will be soliciting applications for both the regular Peace Corps program and a new special project. Under this program, juniors will receive special training during the summer in secondary school teaching and in foreign languages at one of six colleges and universities around the country. They will also take courses in their senior year relating to their Peace Corps work, and will begin active duty immediately after graduation.

Dean Monro said last night Harvard's participation in this program had been discussed with Peace Corps officials, but that nothing definite had been decided yet.