SQUASH

Sports '67

By Robert J. Samuelson

The squash team crumbled to a 5-4 defeat before a determined Yale squad last Saturday at New Haven. The loss was the team's second of the season and snapped a nine-game winning streak.

The Yardlings dropped three of their five losses by scores of 3-2. In two of those close contests, Crimson players had commanding 2-0 leads before they plummeted to defeat.

Val Lewthwaite (4), after a close 17-15 victory in the first game, had barreled over Yale's Jim Brow in the second, 15-10. Unfortunately Brow was unable to accept the prospect of losing to a Harvardman and proceeded to demolish his Crimson opponent 15-9, 15-12, and 15-10.

The Eli's Art Lane (7) put on a repeat performance for all those fans who had missed the first show. With his back to the wall after two losses to Dick Rodgers, 13-15 and 12-15, he jumped to the front of the stage and cremated Rodgers 15-7, 15-8, 15-9.

The weak end of the Crimson squad was the top: Yale picked up four of its five victories in the first four positions. Rogers' defeat added the clinching fifth point.

Craig Stapleton (1) lost 3-1. Number two man Mat Hall dropped his contest 3-2, after having taken a 2-1 lead at the three-game break. John Harwood lost 3-1 at number four.

But Sometimes Big

When Harvard did win, however, it won big. Three of the four Crimson victories were shutouts and the fourth was 3-1. Responsible for blanking their Yale opponents were Doug MacDonald (5), Tuck Amory (6), and Dena Bauer (8).

Ironically, the Crimson actually pulled off a 5-5 tie with the bullpups. A tenth match, not officially counted, was won by Brian Davis, 3-1.

Unfortunately, another disaster struck Yardling teams last week.

The wrestling squad suffered its first defeat in eight outings at the hands of perennially strong Springfield College, 24-7. Despite the loss, the team retains a respectable 6-1-1 record and has several top prospects for next year's varsity.

Climax Coming

The climax to the winter season--the traditional combat with Yale--comes this Saturday for the wrestlers, as well as the swimming, fencing and hockey teams.

Undoubtedly, the swimmers will provide the day's hottest contest. Against a strong Yale team, they will rate as an underdog, as the bullpups have beaten a Princeton team 49-46, which defeated the Crimson 50-45. The vagaries of swimming, however, and some superb performances by Crimson fishes may upset the logic of these mathematical comparisons.

Harvard and Yale hockey teams also should put on a good show. The Crimson has not suffered a loss since Feb. 12, and has defeated Princeton, Andover, Brown, and St. Paul's since that date. Last Saturday, in a return match with Brown, the squad fought to a 6-6 tie. Yale, however, may provide more than enough competition. Against Princeton the Elis easily romped 12-1, where the Crimson had triumphed 8-2.