Bruin Runners Challenge Varsity in Stadium Today

In last year's varsity track encounter with Harvard, the Brown squad outscored its Crimson rivals in the running events but lost the meet by a whopping 90-59 score.

Dave Farley, the 880-yard and mile victor in 1963, and Vic Boog, last year's two-mile winner, are among the Bruins invading the stadium today, so the Providence cindermen can expect to hold their own once again against the Crimson runners. But the formidable Harvard field squad, which demolished Brown in 1963, is still strong enought to make the meet no contest.

The broad jump should get the Crimson off to a 9-0 lead as the Bruins' best in this event, Tom DuHamel, has never bettered 22 feet.

The top Brown shot putter is behemoth Bruce Ross, whose winning effort last week was an awesome 47 ft., 4 in., only six feet shorter than Art Croasdale's victorious heave at Army. Ross will be fighting for second place against the Crimson's Ray Frieden in what could be an exciting duel.

Bruin Clark Hopson throws the discus 144 ft, which, translated, means front-liner battling for second place with Harvard underlings. Chris Pardee, who high jumped 6 ft., 9 in. indoors won't be pressed for first place in that event. Teammate Jack Spitzberg and Bruin Dean Pinelius will both be striving for a 6 ft., 2 in. leapz which should be good for second place.

For once in a blue moon, the Crimson pole vault corps of Jay Mahaney and Don Forte appear to have to much for their opposition. Bruin vaulters Chuck Jackson and Tom Warner managed 12 feet last week.

Best for Break

The Bruin's best chance for a breakthrough in the field events appears to be in the javelin, where Dick Ballou, who recorded a 181 ft., 2 in. heave last week, will challenge Tom Holcombe for first place.

Even in the running events the Bruins show weaknesses. Bob Hendon, Brown's top 120-yard high hurdler, recorded a 0:16.3 timing last week against little opposition and shouldn't push Tony Lynch or Spitzberg. Albie Booth, who posted a 0:59.4 clocking in the 440-yard intermediate hurdles probably won't either.

Awori should beat out Rich Bennett in the 100-yard dash and Mike Henderson in the 220, but the Ugandan junior is rarely predictable. Henderson appears to be the class of the 440 field, but the Crimson's Keith Chiappa should make it a race.

Farley and co-captain Dave Rumsey, one-two in last year's 880, are a formidable twosome, but junior John Ogden and determined Ed Meehan will make it tough for them to repeat. Meehan will also press Farley in the mile in what may be the best race of the day.

When Boog won the two-mile last year, Walt Hewlett wasn't on the Harvard team. With a 9:01.8 mile to his credit against Army, the sophomore star must be favored today.