Eliot Renews Ciggy Seller Despite Rule

A cigarette machine in the Eliot House coat room, which had required persistent servicing and which no longer took nickels, was replaced late last week in apparent disregard of a ruling by L. Gard Wiggins, administrative vice-president, that machines which break down will not be repaired or replaced.

The machine owned by the Cigarette Service Co. of Cambridge, was replaced without the knowledge or approval of the Eliot House Committee or staff, Master Finley, the University Purchasing Office, or the administration. Wiggins said that the company had not been informed of his March 25th directive.

"I thought the problem would be adequately covered by informing the House Committees and the house staffs," Wiggins stated. He added that such actions were "hard to stop" since a student simply has to call the number displayed on each machine to obtain repair service. Wiggins stated that no decision had been made to remove the machine as yet, but that he would look into it.

Robert S. Mullen, purchasing agent for the University, said the vending machine companies involved were to have been notified within a day or two. He said that though the action was "no fault of the company" the machine "shouldn't have been replaced." He stated that it would be "consistent to have it removed."

Master Finley said that he had no knowledge of the machine's replacement and that "obviously the Master should have been informed." He said, however, that the matter was primarily the Administration's responsibility, and he "wouldn't horn in."