Tennis Team Breezes To Eleventh Win, 7-2

The varsity tennis team stretched its undefeated string to 12 matches Saturday with a 7-2 win over Cornell. The victory gave the squad an 11-2-1 record for the season and a 4-0 mark in Eastern League play.

The Crimson's number one player, Frank Ripley, dropped his second match in two days, losing to Cornell's John Gallinado, 6-3, 2-6, 6-2.

That was the only singles win for Cornell. Chum Steele mopped up Bill Taylor, 6-2, 6-2, in the second match. Dave Benjamin whipped Pete Kortmann, 6-4, 6-2, at number three.

Sophomore Clive Kileff turned in a 6-2, 6-3 win over Paul Fein in the fourth match; Bob Inman downed Pete Marx, 7-5, 7-5; and Captain Sandy Walker came back from a 5-2 deficit in the first set to defeat Joel Paschow, 8-6, 6-4.

Steele and Dean Peckham breezed through the first set of the top doubles match 6-1. They fell behind 5-1 in the second, then rallied to pull it out, 7-5. Ripley and Inman beat Paschow and Galimado, 6-1, 7-5, at number two.

Cornell got its only other point when Benjamin and Kileff, trailing 1-2 in the third set, defaulted in order to let the team make a plane.