City Readies for Anti-Jaywalking Law

The Cambridge Traffic Department will soon begin an informal educational program to acquaint Harvard Square pedestrians with the city's anti-jaywalking ordinance which goes into effect June 1.

Under the new law, pedestrians who cross against a traffic signal or fall to use a nearby (within 300 ft.) crosswalk are open game for $1 fines. Motorists who to not yield to pedestrians at unlighted crosswalks can be tagged for $20.

Signs and posters explaining the new law should appear in the Square region shortly. One prominent display is scheduled for the window of the Cambridge Trust Company.

Actually, the educational program started in earnest in East Cambridge several months ago. City officials concentrated their efforts on the schools, as they distributed handbills, showed movies, and posted signs.

In a recent interview, Robert E. Rudolph, city traffic manager, commented that he was "not personally interested in giving out tickets for jaywalking."

But, he continued, "You can stand in Harvard Square and see a pedestrian run out in front of a car going 20 miles an hour and expect it to stop." This sort of jaywalking must be halted, he said.

Because the new law gives the motorist complete right of way over the pedestrian except at crosswalks without traffic signals, courts may be less sympathetic in awarding damages to pedestrians injured while jaywalking, Rudolph predicted.

The city has not yet decided how to deal with persistent offenders, but Rudolph indicated that he does not favor a sliding scale which would raise the fine as the number of violations increased.

Cambridge has gone to a good deal of trouble to prepare for the anti-jaywalking law--the first of its kind in the Boston area. Last August the city installed "Walk" "Don't Walk" signs in Harvard Square, and, more recently, it bought $10,000 worth of light-reflecting paint to paint crosswalks.