WRAP-UP

Sports '67

By Robert J. Samuelson

There is no joy in Yardsville this week.

* The freshman tennis team lost its first contest in four years, dropping a 6-3 match to Yale.

* The lacrosse team added the season's third defeat to its record as the Bullpups finagled their way to a 5-4 victory.

* The heavy weight crew finished second to Cornell at the E.A.R.C. sprints; it was the first time all season that the Yardlings had not led the field across the finish line.

* The golf team assured its status as the second Yardling team to finish the year in the red by dropping matches to Yale and Dartmouth.

Some solace was added by the baseball team which conquered the Elie 5-3, and the track team, which completed the Spring season undefeated the week before by decimating the Yalies, 120-29.

Varsity Talent

Nonetheless, when spring rolls around next year, the Crimson's various varsity coaches will be able to look to the Class of '67 to replenish their ranks.

Track coach Bill McCurdy should be especially happy. Coming to his squad next year will be two speedy 440-yard runners and consistent performers in the longer distances, the hurdles, and the weights.

George Patterson and Sammy Robinson--both of whom tied the Freshmen 440-yard record of 0:48.4--should add a considerable amount of depth in that event. Captain Jim Smith, the winner of the McLaughlin Memorial Award for the greatest contribution to the team, took three firsts in the Yale meet and will undoubtedly supply the varsity with fire power in the mile and two mile runs as well as in one of the relays.

More Hopefuls

In addition, McCurdy will be getting Harvey Thomas, who, before an foot injury early in the season, was usually good for a first in the broad jump and in one of the hurdle events.

Some of the other places where freshmen should be helping out next spring:

Lacrosse goalie Sam Norton seems a good bet to acquire at least the varsity's second spot and will have a good crack at making the first team.

The varsity tennis team will be getting two fine tennis players in Dick Appleby (1) and Brian Davis (2). Another sleeper may be Nick Hoogs, who, although he slid up and down the team ladder, from two to five, managed to finish undefeated. The Records Track  6-0 Tennis  8-1 Lacrosse  7-3 Heavyweight Crew  3-1 Lightweight Crew  1-3 Golf  1-3-1