Sizzler Packs Them In at Lamont; Wonk-Seat Ratio Hits Record High

The calendar called it spring; the catalogue said exam period; but everyone knew that it was really just another damn hot Cambridge day.

Yesterday's 92-degree heat especially made itself felt within the walls of Harvard's normally immune citadel of learning--air conditioned Lamont Library. The temperature inside remained a comfortable 75 degrees, but solitude became a rather rare commodity as well over 1200 knowledge-seekers crowded the building.

The record Lamont crowd filled every corner of the building, topping the previous attendance mark by over 300. Classrooms were opened, and people were even reported studying in the rest rooms.

Every seat in the library's reading rooms was filled by 2:15 p.m., just a quarter-hour after opening time. Library officials counted 1,000 people in the library at that time, and decided to call in additional help to cope with the crowds.

University police stood by quietly as students filed into the library, showing their Bursar's cards to checkers at the doors. The officers had been dispatched to head off any incipient rioting by book-hungry undergraduates.

It was too hot to riot, however, and many students spent the afternoon sunbathing quietly on the banks of the Charies. A few stalwarts joined 15,869 fans at Fenway Park to cheer an over-heated Red Sox nine to a double victory over Kansas City.

Those who wanted to mix a little culture with the heat packed into the Brattle Theatre to greet the opening of the annual spring Bogart Festival.

Meanwhile, a beleaguered but imperturbable band of CRIMSON editorial board members met to discuss the problems of being. Nothing happened.