The Freedom Fast

The RGA took a step forward last week when it overwhelmingly passed a proposal which allows Cliffies to skip dinner in the dormitory on May 14 in order to donate the money saved to the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee. In the past RGA has avoided taking stands on questions outside of the Radcliffe community, but its approval of the fast may indicate a new intention to speak out on local or national problems which are particularly important to students. In addition, the move may encourage individual students to take action on their own.

Some Cliffies have objected that students would do better to send a personal contribution to the feedom movement instead of participating in a "gimmick," which only supplies SNCC with 50 cents for each fasting girl. But the fast should not be regarded as an alternative to an individual donation; anyone who wishes can give to SNCC on his own. Rather the fast provides a convenient channel by which many students--some of whom might not have otherwise given--can make a small personal sacrifice in order to aid the civil rights cause. Furthermore, the fast itself should be a significant gesture for the students involved and an encouragement to the workers in the South.

Unless five hundred girls volunteer by today, the college administration will not allow the fast to take place. It would be unfortunate if this project should fail through lack of response.