RUSSIAN TOO

The Mail

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

Unfortunately, this is not a radical proposal, but still with the help of the following facts I would like modestly to propose and argue the merits of creating an upper-level Social Sciences course on Soviet civilization. There is little debate over the general need and value of learning about the Soviet Union. The country stands as the antithetical counterpart to the United States, and is the most prominent exponent of one of this epoch's two great social movements. Frequent discussion of Communism and the USSR and high enrollments in Soviet courses taught in the University reflect the strong desire at Harvard to know about the Soviet world.

Although the University with its Russian Research Center is a hub for Soviet studies, there is a weakness in the undergraduate curriculum in this field. The greatest part of the students interested in gaining a familiarity with the Soviet Union, due to consideration of time, will be able to take one course to this end. Of the Soviet courses offered (Economics 133, Government 115, Government 115, Government 197, History 156, Slavic 156, and Social Relations 105) each is too specific for the person who is not a concentrator in the department giving the course. Secondly, the compartmentalization of disciplines fails the casual and serious student of the USSR by not presenting an integrated view of the country. The study of Russian government is onesided without some understanding of the Soviet economy and cultural patterns, just as the study of Soviet literature in a vacuum cannot provide an adequate insight into the USSR. Similarly, this specialization has resulted in important aspects of the Soviet Union being completely overlooked, such as the multinational, non-Slav facet of the USSR, traditional Russian norms, etc. Lastly, the material covered in the various courses often tends to overlap. The general value and specific Harvard need for an interdisciplinary, integrated approach to Soviet civilization could be best served by a new upper-level Soc. Sci. The new course, however, should be something more than the mere splicing together of lectures cut out of existing Soviet courses.

At the present the following Social Sciences courses in area studies are given: Social Sciences 111 (China), 113 (Germany), 116 (India), 127 (the Middle East), and 138 (France). Now we may ask whether Soviet civilization is any less important or interesting than these others. And whether the University has in the Soviet field any less facilities or personnel. And finally, whether there is less of a need for an integrated survey of Soviet civilization. We may unhesitatingly answer NO to all three questions.

Given the need, value, and ability to offer a course in Soviet Civilization, it would seem such a project deserves serious consideration. With the recent grant for international studies this may be the time appropriate for discussing this proposal. Voices both pro and con are available among the students and faculty. Frank A. Orban '65