Freshmen Face Bruins In Football and Soccer

Football

The Harvard freshman football team plays Brown in Providence today, and the contest should prove a not-very-strenuous warmup for the Yale game next week.

Brown coach Bob Litchard always looks for the silver lining. He calls Jack Mc-Mahon, his quarterback, "as good as Bob Hall was as a freshman," and adds that his defense "hasn't lost a game yet."

If it's not the defense and it's not the offense, then somebody else must be doing a pretty good job of losing games for the Baby Bruins. They've played five this season, and have dropped every one of them.

Their Last Chance

Brown has been beaten by B.U. 18-7, Yale 33-8, Dartmouth 14.3, Rhode Island 14-13, and Columbia 7-6. Their game with Harvard today is their last chance to avoid a year of complete disaster.

It's unlikely that the Cubs will be able to stop the running of Vic Gatto, the Crimson's sawed-off sensation, or of John Tyson, the team's workhorse halfback. Quarterback Will Stargel probably won't be able to pass very effectively against Brown's competent secondary, but he's a better runner than passer anyway.

JV's Face B.U.

Though the team's defense, led by injury-prone giant Steve Kuziel at tackle, allowed more points in Saturday's 38-25 win over Princeton than it did in all three previous games put together, it should have little trouble stifling the Cubs. The Yard'lings now have a 3-0-1 record -- the tie came against B C.

The JV football team, after squeezing out a 3-0 decision over Princeton. takes on the Boston University freshmen today at B.U. For those willing to brave the MBTA, game time is 1:30 p.m.