Abolish Estimated Signouts

An RGA committee is currently studying the question of abolishing sign-outs for upperclassmen. As the rule now stand, upperclassmen have the option of signing out in the "estimated column" rather than the "expected column." Those who sign out in the estimated column instead of the expected column do not have to return by the time they sign out to, but by 7:15 a.m. the next morning. These sign-outs are not checked until then.

The reasons given for having sign-outs are that they protect students, that they enable them to be contacted in case of an emergency, and that they discourage irregular hours. Estimated sign-outs do not fulfill any of these conditions.

Since no one checks on students who have signed out in the estimated column until the next morning, these signones do not insure the prompt discovery of an accident or attack. Cases in which Radcliffe discovers an incident before the Cambridge or University Police are extremely rare.

Radcliffe signout rules allow a student to indicate "Boston-movie" or "square-coffee" when she cannot be more specific. As a result, only a few people--those who sign out to a boy's room or an organization--could be found in case of an emergency. In any case, it is quicker and easier to contact her through a roommate or a friend.

Estimated signouts do not discourage irregular hours since they allow Cliffies to stay out to any hour they wish. Some people have argued that students at Radcliffe feel pressure to keep irregular hours and that signouts should be kept because they make them think twice before signing out. With estimated signouts, you don't have to think at all about what time you are coming back.

Signouts are, furthermore, an invasion of privacy. The hordes who gather around the sign-out book as if it were the Daily News society section are notorious in every dormitory. The recent innovation of supplying boxes and file-cards--presumably to prevent this--just recounts your life-history at a glance.

The RGA will hopefully decide to give upperclassmen the option of not signing out or, if they feel the need for protection, of signing out in the expected column.