Bennett's Case Earns Review

The Brandeis Faculty debate yesterday asked four of its members "to check up on points of fact" in the Brandeis Philosophy Department's decision not to renew the contract of Daniel C. Bennett '53, assistant professor of Philosophy.

But the members of the Senate did not demand that an ad hoc committee review the Bennett dismissal, as they are empowered to do. "The Senate decided not to turn on its full machinery in this case," explained Ramsey MacMullen '50, president of the Brandeis Senate.

MacMullen would not specify the matters to be reviewed, but they presumably concern Bennett's claim that there were procedural irregularities in the department's decision.

For example, Bennett supporters cite the inaccuracy of the biographical and bibliographical material read at the department's meeting. They also protest the presence of the dean of the faculty, Peter Diamandopoulos '51, while the decision was being made.

Bennett, who was notified of the Senate's decision in a letter from MacMullen, said he was content with the Senate's action and called it "a total victory for airness and due process."

If the Faculty Senate is to take any action, it will probably do so by Dec 1, the unofficial deadline for all contract decisions. The next scheduled meeting of the Faculty Senate is in mid-December.

The four-member committee examining the Bennett decision must therefore call a special meeting of the Senate if it plans to meet the contract deadline.

The Brandeis Faculty Senate composed of 25 professors, makes recommendations to the faculty but has no official powers.