Varsity Sextet Stops Kinasewich, Outscores Alumni 6-3 in Warmup

While footballers prepared for Yale under floodlights 100 yards away, the varsity hockey team ushered in the winter sports season with a 6-3 win over the Harvard alumni team last evening in Watson Rink.

This game was more than a warmup against paunchy veterans from yesteryear. The alumni featured Gene Kinasewich, now playing on the Eastern Olympic Hockey Club, Bob and Bill Cleary, stars of the U.S. Olympic hockey teams in '60 and '64, Ike Ikauniks, all-East for Harvard two seasons ago, and John Daly and Wade Weich, last year's captain and goalie, respectively.

The alumni featured teamwork as well as individual prowess, since they worked together last week against the Harvard JV, in a game they won easily.

Varsity Strikes First

The sophomore-laden varsity seemed unimpressed by its opponent's credentials, and it mounted a heavy attack from the start. Weich came up with great save after great save until sophomore defenseman Tag Demment stickhandled down the middle and beat him with a shot in the upper left corner.

Two minutes later Bill Cleary completely dumbfounded defenseman Bobby Clark, goalie Bill Fitssimmons and the 500 fans to tie the game.

In the second period, goals by Kinasewich and Bob Cleary offset sophomore Kent Parrot's 40-foot slap shot to give the alumni a 3-2 lead.

But in the final period, Pete Waldinger poked in a Kent Parrot rebound and Chip Scammon consummated a breakaway with a 15-foot backhander to give the varsity the lead again. Pete Miller widened the margin with a tally from outside the crease, assisted by Jack Garrity, and Cordie Prince finished the scoring with a minute to go after goalie Weich had been pulled from the nets.

It was an auspicious start for the varsity, which is counting heavily on eight sophomores to break last year's scoring drought and recover from Harvard's worst hockey record in the past decade.