Bunting Prompts Council to Study End of Sign-Outs

The Radcliffe Government Association, acting on a suggestion by Mary I. Bunting, president of Radcliffe College, yesterday set up a committee to study the possibility of abolishing all upperclass sign-outs.

Mrs. Bunting brought up the subject during a discussion of granting sophomores unlimited three o'clocks before Thanksgiving She told the meeting that while they were discussing this revision of the social rules, they might examine the whole sign out mechanism and consider abolishing it. She then proposed establishing the study committee.

"I only wanted to throw the question before the meeting into a slightly larger context." Mrs. Bunting said later. She noted that Harvard men don't have any sign-outs and that Radcliffe girls perhaps should have the same privilege. She emphasized however, that she was not recommending anything but a thorough study of the subject.

Nora M. Ronhovde '66, RGA president, said that she felt there was a "good possibility" that sign-outs will be eliminated. At present upperclass Cliffies, though they have unlimited hours, must remember to sign out if they don't plan to return to the dorm by 10 p.m.

"After Mrs. Bunting spoke there was mostly silence," said Lois J. Schiffer '66, an RGA representative. "People were in a state of shock," she added.

The study committee will be established by the executive committee of RGA. Its recommendations will be presented to the RGA legislature, which meets next on November 18. Only if the committee report were challenged would the issue go to a Radcliffe referendum. Otherwise, any revision of the rules would pass by a vote of the RGA legislature.