2nd-Place Harvard Soccer Team Plays Last-Place Princeton Today

Tiger fans may wish Charley Goglak had struck to soccer after Harvard and Princeton booters fight it out this morning.

The Princeton soccer team hasn't won an Ivy League game this year, while Harvard is in a second place deadlock with Yale at 3-1, Princeton, however, has tied Cornell, and Cornell is the team that beat Harvard 3-1.

"The guys are hungry for the Ivy title," said manager Bob Gould '67 yesterday. "Beating (first place) Brown won't mean anything if we lose to Princeton."

Okigwe Healthy

Chuck Okigwe is expected to play for the first time since his injury in the Cornell game. Rich Hammond returned to the nets for the Penn game, but regular goalie will probably have to sit out one more contest.

Bodwitch, who suffered an eye injury against Columbia, might be ready for some action today, and will definitely be available for the Brown and Yale matches. He has been working out all week.

Charlie Njoku, Harvard's outside left, leads the Ivy League in scoring with six goals in four games. He scored twice in the 3-2 comeback win against. Penn last Saturday. Njoku's cousin, Chris Ohiri, is Harvard's all-time high soccer scorer. Ohiri notched 48 goals in his 1961-3 career.

The Crimson booters will win easily if they can duplicate their first-half form against Dartmouth, when they forced all the action to the Indians' end of the field and carved out a 6-1 win. Manager Gould called that game "the best soccer I've seen."

The team did not look as good against Penn, and was unable to break through until midway in the final quarter. Penn's narrow field seemed to hamper Harvard's performance, Princeton was dumped by Penn 4-2 this year.

Princeton has trouble scoring. Anywhere but 15 yards from the opponents goal they play well, but that's not where it counts in the standings. The Tigers have a strong halfback trio of Robin Ross. Bill Reed and Frank MacMurray, Captain Walt Smedley and Jolyan Sprowles are good fullbacks.

The Tigers have a 2-4-1 record and a 0-3-1 Ivy slate. They have scored exactly three goals in four league contests. They will have to do better than that to hurt the Crimson.

In their last outing, Princeton lost a close one to league leading Brown 1-0, but every Brown victory has been by a single goal. The only Tiger offensive burst of the season came in a non-league 7-1 thrashing of Rutgers.

Harvard has scored 13 times in their four Ivy matches. They also crushed Tufts 10-0 and Boston University 9-0 in pre-season play. The booters appeared lethargic in their loss to Cornell, but a principal factor in that game was an injury to second-string goalie Richie Hammond in the first quarter.

The game will begin at 10:30 a.m. at the Harvard Business School field