'Cliffe's Budget Deficit May Force Rise in Next Year's Room, Board

By Linda G. Mcveigh

A predicted $100,000 deficit may force Radcliffe to raise its room and board charges next year. Mary 1. Bunting, president of the College said yesterday.

The College has operated in the red for three years, but the previous deficits have amounted only to about $30,000 annually. The deficit is greater this year, Mrs. Bunting said, because of improvements and deconversions of rooms made in North House this summer.

Unless gifts to the College increase substantially during this academic year, Radcliffe will have to make up the deficit by borrowing from working capital, the unrestricted part of the endowment, or by increasing room and board charges.

Radcliffe has been unable to break even on room and board for several years, although the room charge was increased to $550 in 1964. The College has resisted raising these fees to keep up with higher wages paid the stuff, costs of renovating dormitory rooms, and the increased cost of living, Mrs. Bunting pointed out.

Any change in room and board charges would have to be approved by the College Council. No formal recommendations will be made until the Administration can guage the success of the national fund drive begun last month.

The deficit may limit the number of seniors who will be allowed to move off-campus into apartments. Mrs. Banting predicted. Radcliffe will lose about $1 70 for every girl who moves off since these seniors will not be paying room and board.

Financial considerations will not be foremost in determining whether apartment living will be continued next year, but "we have to think about all these things." Mrs. Bunting said. "At Radcliffe $20,000 makes a difference."