Divinity Students To Participate in Political Seminar

Some 20 theology students, five or six of them from the Divinity School, will spend six weeks in Washington this summer taking a hard look at the structure of American government.

According to Wayne W. Horvath, director of Planning for the Divinity School, the students will attend a seminar on modern government sponsored by the School's Department of the Church and the Union of American Hebrew Congregations (UAHC). The participants will be chosen from both groups and from several Roman Catholic organizations.

They will study the legislative and judicial branches of the federal government by talking with high-ranking officials in these fields, Horvath said. He added that they will confer with representatives from the War on Poverty, the American Civil Liberties Union, and civil rights groups.

Political Experts Needed

"We want to enlarge these students' vision of church life," Horvath said. "We want to show them that the church needs experts in political affairs as well as in Bible studies."

The program will cost $21,000, most of which will come from national foundations, Horvath said.