Hockey Team Wallops Bowdoin 9-2

Coach Cooney Weiland's three spanking new lines passed with mid-season precision and hustled with homecoming enthusiasm in a 9-2 bombing of Bowdoin at Watson Rink last night. The Harvard hockey team's superiority in play was as convincing as the final score; and the game should give the young skaters confidence and a big win to go along with their recognized potential.

The Crimson sewed up the victory early. Eric Rosenberger threaded the needle with a spinning, seven-foot back-hand after five minutes of play to open a barrage that embroidered a 4-0 margin by the end of the first period.

The third line of Ben Smith, Rosenberger, and Ed Zellner accounted for three of the first four goals, with Rosenberger notching his second at 18:50, punching in a rebound off a shot by Smith.

The first line picked up the scoring puck in the second period and matched the third-line's single-period collective hat trick.

A minute-and-a-half after Bowdoin's Leo Tracy shattered goalie Bill Fitzsimmons' bid for an effortless shutout with a 25-foot screen shot, starting left-winger Dennis McCullough hit center Kent Parrot at mid-ice with a long lead pass. The one defenseman between Parrot and the goal appeared to ride the slick-sticking sophomore off to the left, until Parrot stopped short, swung around, and in one motion bulleted the puck into the far corner.

Waldinger Scores

First-line right wing Pete Waldinger twice neatly stole the puck in his offensive zone and beat Ledger to up Harvard's goal total to seven.

The second line contributed goals in the first and third periods. The pattern of both was a steal at the blueline, a quick pass to center Jack Garrity, who carried the puck goal-ward, and a flip across the crease to left wing Bob Fredo, who converted twice.

Harvard's final goal was registered by Zellner, unassisted, after nine minutes of the third period, making the junior left-winger the fourth Crimson skater to tally twice on the evening.

The defensive duo of seniors Bobby Clark and Kevin Burke checked hard and let little through to goalies Fitz-simmons and senior Dex Newton. The second defense tandem of Chip Scammon and Bob Carr was on the ice for both Bowdoin scores and was the Crimson's weak point last night.

The Bowdoin defense, including goalie Ledger despite his 47 saves, provided no meaningful test for Harvard, but at least the rout showed, as Welland commented, that "we're on the right track."