Music Dept's Library Will Be Expanded

The Harvard Planning Committee has approved plans to double the size of the Paine Hall music library.

According to Nino Pirotta, chairman of the Music Department, the initial plans include the addition of a fourth floor to the library, and the construction of additional office space and more listening facilities. Pirotta, who is also chief librarian, predicted work will begin on the project within two years.

Fund Drive Begins

The Music Department is beginning a major fund drive to meet the high cost of the expansion. At present, the Department holds only one-tenth of the necessary funds, Pirotta said.

The main reason for the addition, he explained, is the new emphasis in music studies on individual listening. "Still, there will not be as many new listening booths as I would like," he complained. The library's collection of books, scores, and recordings has doubled since 1956. when the library wing was built.

Pirotta is preparing a brochure designed to raise funds for the project. It will be sent to alumni, "friends of the department," and "patrons interested in the development of good music."

He said the Department contacted architect James Klapp last spring to begin the formal planning. Klapp also designed the Divinity School library.

Pirotta noted that there still is room for additional books under existing conditions at the library. He explained that the new construction represents necessary planning for the future.

The extra office space will ease the now cramped situation of faculty members in the music building. Another benefit. Priotta pointed out, is that the additional room will probably allow some teaching fellows and graduate students to reside in Paine Hall.