Junior Faculty's Salaries Raised

COMPETITION SPURS MOVE

By Robert J. Samuelson

The University announced yesterday a broad increase in salaries for its junior faculty--teaching fellows, instructors, and assistant professors.

The pay raise which averages from 8 to 11 per cent in most salary categories, is designed to meet higher living costs and competition from other universities.

Dean Ford said yesterday that other schools constantly offer Harvard junior faculty members renured positions, which are usually both permanent and higher paying. "We want to keep our junior faculty positions attractive in face of this possibility of earlier tenure appointment at other instructions," he stated.

"A Harvard instructor or assistant professor is such a good target for these places," he added.

The salary increase will go into effect July 1 and will cost approximately $350,000 to $385,000. Ford said, however, that the added expense will not require an increase in tuition and that a decision against any increase for next year has already been made.

For assistant professors, the new salary schedule will mean a maximum pay of $10,600 after five years as compared with the present rate of $9500. First year assistant professors will receive $9000, against the current $8300.

Instructors pay will rise from $7200 to $7800 (first year), from $7500 to $8200 (second year), and from $7800 to $8600 (third year). Teaching fellows will receive increases on an annual rate which varies from $300 to $600.

Full Professors

In addition to these changes the University raised the maximum salary for full professors from $25,000 to $28,000. It also set a new floor for the pay of associate professors at $11,000. Unlike non tenured positions, however, the salaries of all tenured faculty members are negotiated individually.

AA Rating

The new pay schedule means that Harvard will probably retain its AA salary rating from the American Association of University Professors. The University briefly lost the AA rating in 1963, when it slipped to an A.

Yesterday's raises for assistant professors and instructors follows an increase of approximately $300 last year and one .