Championship-Hungry Lions Beat Harvard Matmen 18-9 in New York

Columbia, undefeated in league competition and aiming for the Ivy wrestling title, ruined Harvard's own championship hopes by whipping the Crimson 18-9 in New York Saturday night.

Harvard scored first as Howie Henjyoji dismembered the Lions' Jim Gordon 13-1 at 123 pounds, but Columbia took six of the next seven matches for all of its 18 points.

First, Columbia Captain Arnie Lesser downed Mike King 6-2 at 130, and Chuck Christensen shut out Jack Linn of Harvard 4-0. The Crimson's Howie Durfee, leading 4-3 in the second period of his 147-pound match with Larry Nelson of Columbia, lost a point on a toe-hold penalty that tied the score. Nelsen escaped in the third period to hand Durfee a 5-4 loss, his first since he returned to the Harvard team after vacation.

Ed Franquemont pulled Harvard to within three points by decisioning the Lions' Bob Mayer 9-3 at 157 pounds, but Columbia won the next two matches by identical 5-0 scores as Steve Leverich beat Dave Worcester at 167 and Pete Salzer defeated Chris Wickens at 177.

Dave Morash, undefeated this year for the Lions, then downed Harvard Captain Ben Brooks 9-6 at 191 pounds in a see-saw match marked by a number of rapidfire reverses. Heavyweight Tack Chaco salvaged a little of Harvard's pride by stopping Chattman of Columbia 6-2.

Harvard's match with Rutgers scheduled for the night before was cancelled after poor weather scratched the team's flight from Boston. The wrestlers rode to New York Friday night on a train so crowded that some of them had to sit in the aisles, not the best way to prepare for a meet.

The loss was Harvard's second in the league against a single win. The Crimson's overall record now stands at 2-3.