Six Tops Princeton, 6-2; Meets Huskies Tonight

When Harvard beats Princeton, there is cause, for rejoicing, but when three Harvard teams all defeat their Tiger counterparts, there are grounds for a major celebration.

On Saturday at Watson Rink, the freshman, JV, and varsity hockey teams all turned in victories. The frosh upset a highly touted and previously undefeated freshman squad, 5-4; the JV's romped 9-0; and the varsity turned in a credible 6-2 win over the Tiger varsity.

Coach Coonie Weiland cleared the benches in the varsity tilt, which featured a combined total of thirty-two minutes of penalties called against both teams. Late in the third period, when the game was all but over, fighting broke out in front of the Harvard cage, and twelve minutes of penalties were handed out after the gloves and sticks had been cleared away.

The Crimson was never in trouble, jumping off to an early lead, and maintaining it throughout the game. With just 16 gone in the first period, Kenny Barnes poked the puck past Tiger goalie Graeme Flanders, and the rout was on. Kenny McCullough and Pete Waldinger each picked up a goal before Princeton could score half way through the second period.

The second half of the game was practically a carbon copy of the first, Harvard picking up an additional three goals, and Princeton one. Eric Rosenberger contributed two of these last three tallies, and Aldie Harrington the other.

At 7 o'clock tonight at the Boston Garden Harvard takes on Northeastern in the consolation game of the Beanpot tourney. These two teams have met twice before, and have split decisions, Northeastern winning the first game, 6-2, and the Crimson coming back in the second with a 5-1 win.

Both Harvard and Northeastern lost heartbreakers in last week's Beanpot play, and will be looking for victory tonight.